Monday, January 2, 2017

Thai sticky rice with mango

Happy new year 2017 to all my friends!
And the new year begun with one of my very favorite Thai dessert - Sticky rice with mango. I am a big aficionado of Thai cuisine. There is nothing about Thai food that I don't like. Well except for the tea. I never get to have enough of this sweet sticky rice. In restaurants they either serve it too less to satisfy my greedy taste buds or there are always sweet lovers with me who take me for granted, me being conscious about sweets and refrain myself from it. Last few times we ordered this dish I had to sacrifice my portion to the sweet lovers, not by choice though. So I have decided to try it at home and indulge myself in devouring it as much as I want.  I spent days looking for this sticky rice and finally got it in Walmart. 
And finally the day came when I made no sacrifices and ate like Joey(FRIENDS - Joey doesn't share his food!)


Ingredients:
  • Thai sticky rice            - 1 cup
  • Coconut milk               -  1 can(14 Oz)
  • Sugar                             - 4 Tbsp
  • Salt                                 - a generous pinch
  • Ripe mango                  - 2
  • Vanilla extract              - 1/2 tsp

Method:

1. Wash the rice properly. Soak overnight in enough water to cover.
2. Put the rice in a sieve lined with cheesecloth or kitchen towel. Cover with a kitchen towel. 
3. Heat water in a deep pan, place the sieve in pan. Sieve should be high enough not to touch the water. Cover the pan with lid and steam for 20-25 mins. 
(Make sure the rice is cooked just perfect and does not turn mushy.)
4. While the rice is cooking prepare the coconut milk mix. Add coconut milk in a pan.
5. Add sugar and salt. Add vanilla. When the mix just starts to boil remove from stove.
6. When the rice is cooked transfer to a bowl.
7. Pour 3/4th of the coconut milk mix on top and fold well. Keep aside for 15-20 minutes for the rice to absorb the mix.
Add caption
8. Peel the mangoes and slice them.
9. Scoop rice in serving plate, top with coconut milk mix and serve with sliced mangoes.
(This dish is usually served with a generous sprinkle of roasted split moong daal)

No comments:

Post a Comment